Cover Stories: Gordon Wise, Harpercollins
Friday 20 June 2003
One of the more bizarre appointments of recent times is that of Gordon Wise as publishing director of John Murray, once home to Byron and these days to such titans as Patrick Leigh Fermor and Ruth Prawer Jhabvala. Wise has lately presided over the media division at Pan Macmillan, where his contributions have included memoirs by Bruce Forsyth, Ulrika Jonsson and Basil Brush. Roland Philipps, appointed MD of Murray in the wake of Hodder Headline's takeover last year, has charged Wise with putting the publisher "in a modern context, where subject and saleability cross". However, Brucie and Ulrika turned out to be rather less than saleable.
* Harpercollins enjoyed a cosy night at the BBC Four Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction. T J Binyon, author of the winning, magisterial biography of Pushkin, is married to the company's publicity director, Helen Ellis, who in her time has escorted Lady Thatcher and John Major around the bookshops - not to mention the equally formidable Barbara Taylor Bradford. The two met some years back but married recently, dividing their time between London and Oxford, where Binyon is a senior fellow at Wadham College. Close runner-up in the Johnson stakes was a another HarperCollins author: Aminatta Forna, with her remarkable memoir of her executed father and the troubled history of Sierra Leone, The Devil that Danced on the Water.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign