Cultural Life: Audrey Niffenegger, author
Friday 23 October 2009
I just finished Lorrie Moore's new novel, 'A Gate at the Stairs'. It's quirky and full of perfect sentences, sentences I wanted to cup in my hands and carry around like fireflies (though the sentences would probably bite).
I don't exactly watch TV. I wait until every other human has seen something; then I watch it on DVD. At the moment, I have a couple seasons of 'Torchwood' waiting for me.
I saw 'Doctor Atomic' by John Adams at the Lyric Opera in Chicago. It was very disturbing, with sumptuous, anxious music. At the end, the whole audience sat in the dark, in silence, and I thought, if the curtain does not go up in a second we are all going to start weeping.
'Telling Tales', an exhibition of narrative furniture and objects at the V&A. Gothic, ornate and unrestrained. As a writer, I had fun spending an afternoon spinning fairy tales for each object.
Andrew Bird, Laura Veirs, The Fiery Furnaces, John Adams, John Wesley Harding, Deep Listening.
'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger, published by Jonathan Cape, price £18.99
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures