Cultural Life: Magnus Mills, author
Friday 31 July 2009
I'm a very slow reader. I read every paragraph twice. I've just finished reading David Kynaston's 'Austerity Britain: 1945-1951'. It's a blockbuster history of Britain. I just read a couple of new books about the English Civil War by David Clark and Blair Worden.
Most people's eyes glaze over when you mention ballet, but for anyone who has seen Tamara Rojo doing fouettés in 'Swan Lake', you've seen perfection.
Duffy's 'Rockferry' is as good as any of the soul classics of the Sixties. I saw Roots Manuva playing at a street party in Kentish Town, only because I was in the garden and I could hear it. I like Foals, because they put music out on vinyl every few months. I bought Fleet Foxes' "Your Protector" and The Dead Weather's "Treat Me Like Your Mother", although this band is slightly overrated.
I quite liked Channel 4's re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings.
I always enjoy the RA's Summer Exhibition, particularly the abstract work.
'The Maintenance of Headway' by Magnus Mills is published by Bloomsbury
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures