Famous writing sheds
You’ve probably read the news about the Dahl family’s plea for funds to restore Roald Dahl’s writing hut. His grandaughter Sophie described the shed as “sacred” which makes one wonder about the consecrated nature of great writers' rooms.
Thousands of people each year visit Wordsworth’s home ‘Dove Cottage’ in the Lake District to catch a glimpse of the the furniture, family possessions and portraits where he lived.
There is something rather special about discovering the place which influenced a writer so heavily and to observe the surrounding nature which they wrote about.
Yet while Wordsworth chose to write a lot of his poetry on what was called his “domestic slip of mountain”, the popularity of the “shed” as a writer’s alcove is more common for scribes who need to retreat from the hubbub of life.
Dahl is far from the only writer to use a shed as a sanctuary where he could work without interruption. Mark Twain and Virginia Woolf (she had a shed of one's own) are among writers who retreated from the distractions of the outer world to garner inspiration and simplicity from the setting.
We've compiled a list of famous writers and their sheds.
Arts & Ents blogs
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
- 1 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 2 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 3 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Mourinho will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 4 Civil partnerships amendment 'could wreck' gay marriage Bill, Government sources warn
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.