Name game: John Rentoul's top ten anagrams
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 10 November 2013
Mary Ann Sieghart, a former columnist on 'The Independent on Sunday', found a London Underground map on the internet, on which all the station names were replaced with anagrams, some of which are striking. Especially the first on this list...
1. Kensington High Street Togetherness thinking.
2. Eleven plus two Twelve plus one. Spooky.
3. Manchester City Synthetic cream. With thanks to James Farrar.
4. New York Times Monkeys write.
5. Public relations Crap built on lies. Attributed to Mick Tully, 2001, and nominated by Ben Stanley.
6. Houses of Parliament Shameful operations. From Roger Morgan.
7. Anagram If you type it into Google, it asks "did you mean nag a ram". Thanks to Citizen Sane.
8. Alec Guinness Genuine class. Also from Citizen Sane.
9. Proust Stupor. Thanks to Dorothy Chang.
10. Cameron Romance. Pointed out to me by a taxi driver, to explain his prediction that the Conservative leader would win the 2010 election.
Next week: Ways in which Doctor Who saved the universe
Coming soon: Trollemics, a word coined by Stephen Tall for 'a deliberately over-the-top argument to generate controversy and make rational debate impossible'. Send your suggestions (by 19 November), along with ideas for any future Top 10s, to email@example.com
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Game of Thrones actress Aimee Richardson begs for 'other princess work' after Myrcella Baratheon part is recast
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming in August 2014
Cultural relations between Sydney and Melbourne soured by row over milk crate art instillation
The Walking Dead season 5 will see deaths of 'favourite characters', suggests Andrew Lincoln
Edinburgh Festival 2014: Israeli show The City pulled after pro-Palestinian protests
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >