Name game: John Rentoul's top ten anagrams
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 10 November 2013
Mary Ann Sieghart, a former columnist on 'The Independent on Sunday', found a London Underground map on the internet, on which all the station names were replaced with anagrams, some of which are striking. Especially the first on this list...
1. Kensington High Street Togetherness thinking.
2. Eleven plus two Twelve plus one. Spooky.
3. Manchester City Synthetic cream. With thanks to James Farrar.
4. New York Times Monkeys write.
5. Public relations Crap built on lies. Attributed to Mick Tully, 2001, and nominated by Ben Stanley.
6. Houses of Parliament Shameful operations. From Roger Morgan.
7. Anagram If you type it into Google, it asks "did you mean nag a ram". Thanks to Citizen Sane.
8. Alec Guinness Genuine class. Also from Citizen Sane.
9. Proust Stupor. Thanks to Dorothy Chang.
10. Cameron Romance. Pointed out to me by a taxi driver, to explain his prediction that the Conservative leader would win the 2010 election.
Next week: Ways in which Doctor Who saved the universe
Coming soon: Trollemics, a word coined by Stephen Tall for 'a deliberately over-the-top argument to generate controversy and make rational debate impossible'. Send your suggestions (by 19 November), along with ideas for any future Top 10s, to email@example.com
Art Somebody is going around telling people he's Banksy - but it isn't the street artist
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Costa Book Awards 2015: H is for Hawk named book of the year
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures