One minute with: Charles Moore, biographer
Friday 17 May 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
In my house, an old rectory in East Sussex. I can see fallow deer across the stream and bluebells in the wood.
What are you currently reading?
'Hound Music', a novel by Rosalind Belben set in the early 20th century which really understands hunting.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire her/him
Miklós Bánffy, the Hungarian politician and nobleman and author of the 'Transylvanian Trilogy'. The best fictional insight into the mind and life of pre-First World War middle Europe.
Describe the room where you usually write
My study in Sussex looks out on to our wood stack, so no view distracts me. It is north-facing and needs a coal fire till May.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
Hare, in Alison Uttley's "Little Grey Rabbit". He is boastful, and foolish in an active way.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
Sir Denis Thatcher. He was the "conventional" man with the courage to back an unconventional woman.
Charles Moore's biography, 'Margaret Thatcher: The Authorized Biography (Volume 1: Not for Turning), is published by Allen Lane
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >