One Minute With: Dorothy Koomson, novelist
Friday 12 April 2013
Where are you know and what can you see?
I'm in my kitchen, and I can see the TV – which is on, but shouldn't be – and the garden. I live near the sea in Brighton. When the sun shines, it's the best place in the world.
What are you currently reading?
The last novel I finished was 'One Day' by David Nicholls: a good idea, and very well written.
Choose a favourite author, and say why you admire her/him
Terry McMillan: she can write very emotional novels without being too sentimental.
Describe the room where you usually write
In bed, with my laptop... My poor husband has to put up with the light on in the middle of the light.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
I find elements of myself in many characters... I went through a Bridget Jones phase, weighing myself every day. I don't do that any more!
Who is your hero or heroine from outside literature?
This might sound sycophantic, but because of the novels I write - emotional thrillers – I speak to people with incredible stories to tell. I really admire them: they have often endured horrible things but are still good people.
Dorothy Koomson's latest novel is 'The Rose Petal Beach' (Quercus); an ITV adaptation of her 'The Ice Cream Girls' begins on 19 April
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >