One minute with: Lucy Worsley, historian/curator
Friday 13 September 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I'm on a tea break from filming at 18th-century Marble Hill House in Twickenham - with half an eye I'm looking at the portrait of George II that we're going to shoot next.
What are you currently reading?
Linda Colley on Britons, Andrew Thompson on George II - for this new TV series about the Georgians.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire her/him
I admire Mark Girouard. Reading his books made me want to become an architectural historian in the first place. He opens up such esoteric subjects in such beautiful prose.
Describe the room where you usually write
It's a noisy metal box on wheels. I'm pretty disciplined about getting my laptop out and my head down during my 35-minute commute.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
I'd like to say Lucy in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. But to be honest she's kinder, and more generous than I am.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
Connie, the ex-WAAF, 90-year-old volunteer pianist who plays for the visitors to the SS Great Britain in Bristol. I'd like to be like her when I grow up.
Lucy Worsley's 'A Very British Murder' is published by BBC Books
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >