One Minute With: Tie Ning, novelist
Friday 22 February 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I live in Beijing. From my window I can see the scenery of life.
What are you currently reading?
I've been reading 'Tao Te Ching' by Lao Tzu, Jean-Henri Fabre's 'Book of Insects', Italo Calvino's short stories and Tocqueville's 'The Ancien Regime and the French Revolution'.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire her/him?
Among British authors, my favourite is Charles Dickens. I read 'David Copperfield' when I was nine, during the Cultural Revolution in China.
Describe the room where you usually write?
My writing room is quite large and I use a bookshelf to divide it into two. One half has a large table in the middle. The other half is my writing space.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
When 'Madame Bovary' was published, people asked Flaubert who she was and he answered, "I am Madame Bovary." This is the most truthful answer I've heard about the relationship between the author and their fictional characters.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
My husband is the hero in my mind.
Tie Ning's novel 'The Bathing Women' is published by Blue Door
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict