The 10 best new memoirs
1. Back from the Brink by Alistair Darling
The former chancellor's book seems delightfully free of the usual politician's artifice.
2. Absolutely: A Memoir by Joanna Lumley
Lumley has done it all, from sex kitten and TV star to activist for the Gurkhas. Read about it here.
3. The Unauthorised Autobiography by Julian Assange
The story of the man behind WikiLeaks is a gripping read.
4. Instead of a Book by Diana Athill
Not quite a traditional memoir, but few of those illuminate their author so deftly and with such grace.
5. How I Won the Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting
Follow Ned Boulting's journey from bike-racing virgin to aficionado of all things speedy on two wheels.
6. May I Have Your Attention, Please? by James Corden
The star's memoir is an above-average affair in that he devotes a lot of space to addressing his failings.
7. My Father's Fortune by Michael Frayn
The playwright and journalist's first volume of autobiography is beautifully written and deeply insightful.
8. I, Partridge by Alan Partridge
Partridge muses about his time in radio, his break as an archery commentator, and lots more besides.
9. I'm Not Really Here by Paul Lake
An emotional account of footballer Lake's descent from potential superstar to broken man.
10. Small Man in a Book by Rob Brydon
The actor, writer, comedian and voice of Toilet Duck takes a wry look at his life.
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sean Abbott: Messages of support flood in for bowler following death of batsman Phil Hughes
- 2 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 3 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 4 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 5 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' close to camp
This house and dental clinic 'piled up like bricks on the brink of collapsing' is why Japan wins at architecture
'I just want to get home and watch Match of the Day': The Specials frontman Terry Hall admits the agony of being in an aging rock band during gig
Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking Lana Del Rey rape video
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'