The 10 best new memoirs
1. Back from the Brink by Alistair Darling
The former chancellor's book seems delightfully free of the usual politician's artifice.
2. Absolutely: A Memoir by Joanna Lumley
Lumley has done it all, from sex kitten and TV star to activist for the Gurkhas. Read about it here.
3. The Unauthorised Autobiography by Julian Assange
The story of the man behind WikiLeaks is a gripping read.
4. Instead of a Book by Diana Athill
Not quite a traditional memoir, but few of those illuminate their author so deftly and with such grace.
5. How I Won the Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting
Follow Ned Boulting's journey from bike-racing virgin to aficionado of all things speedy on two wheels.
6. May I Have Your Attention, Please? by James Corden
The star's memoir is an above-average affair in that he devotes a lot of space to addressing his failings.
7. My Father's Fortune by Michael Frayn
The playwright and journalist's first volume of autobiography is beautifully written and deeply insightful.
8. I, Partridge by Alan Partridge
Partridge muses about his time in radio, his break as an archery commentator, and lots more besides.
9. I'm Not Really Here by Paul Lake
An emotional account of footballer Lake's descent from potential superstar to broken man.
10. Small Man in a Book by Rob Brydon
The actor, writer, comedian and voice of Toilet Duck takes a wry look at his life.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
‘Remember the attackers are a cold-blooded, crazy minority’, says Blek le Rat
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors: 'I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK'
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Mr Selfridge series 3: Actress Kara Tointon says 'We're starting to see his demise'
Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors: 'I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK'
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
V&A removes depiction of Prophet Mohamed from website amid 'severe security alert'
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd