The 10 Best Tech Books
1. Free by Chris Anderson
Wired's editor-in-chief rose to fame with The Long Tail, an account of the economics of the web. Free looks at how businesses can prosper by offering services for free.
2. Crowdsourcing by Jeff Howe
Howe's account of how crowds were changing everything from design process to funding models has proved prescient.
3. The Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich
The book behind The Social Network, about the founding of Facebook, it's a captivating spin on a captivating company.
4. Steve Jobs: The Biography by Walter Isaacson
Isaacson's authorised, yet frank, account of the late Apple founder's life might be the first great tech bio and is a must read.
5. I'm Feeling Lucky by Douglas Edwards
Edwards was one of Google's first marketing staffers and here gives a dextrous account of the growth of the search engine's Googleplex.
6. Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirky
Shirky is a thinker on how old media interacts with new and here looks at how to engage the collective swell of productivity the net has given us.
7. One Click by Richard L Brandt
Brandt's account of how Jeff Bezos built Amazon, the defining customer-orientated business of the digital age, is required reading.
8. The Filter Bubble by Eli Pariser
Writer and MoveOn activist Pariser thinks our internet profiles – social media and the like – limit the amount of things we can discover.
9. The New New Thing by Michael Lewis
Lewis is the master business storyteller. Here he documents the growth of the first web bubble in Silicon Valley.
10. Dark Market by Misha Glenny
The McMafia author's book is like a Bourne thriller chasing those faced with losing everything and those making a criminal mint on the web.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits out at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'