The top ten: First lines in fiction
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 02 March 2014
Jonny Geller, the boss of the literary agency Curtis Brown, said on Twitter: 'This is the saddest story I have ever heard,' the start of 'The Good Soldier' by Ford Madox Ford, is 'perhaps my favourite opening sentence in fiction'. Here are 10 more suggestions I like.
1. 'There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it' CS Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Chosen by Tom Freeman.
2. 'Marley was dead: to begin with' Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol. The finest use of a colon in literature.
3. 'The scent, smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning' Ian Fleming, Casino Royale. Suggested by Joe Oliver.
4. 'There were four of us' Jerome K Jerome, Three Men in a Boat. Nominated by James Vaughan.
5. 'It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York' Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar. From Sarah Wollaston MP
6. 'All this happened, more or less' Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five. From James Galley.
7. 'It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen' George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four. Suggested by Clive Davis.
8. 'It was the day my grandmother exploded' Iain Banks, The Crow Road. Chosen by Stuart Ritchie.
9. 'Cities at night, I feel, contain men who cry in their sleep and then say Nothing' Martin Amis, The Information. From Chris Deerin.
10. 'It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea' Philip Reeve, Mortal Engines. From Thomas Hemsley.
Next week: Lost positives (such as ept and hevelled)
Coming soon: Mixed metaphors (no, really this time). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
25 years of Disney: How Darth Vader, Iron Man, Elsa and Pixar's geniuses helped the company conquer the world (again)
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account