The top ten: Lost positives
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 09 March 2014
Jane Penson started this one off with ept and shevelled. 'When I was at boarding school, my friend and I spent hours in the school library with the Oxford Dictionary (12 large dusty volumes) looking for them and we found lots,' she said. Here are my favourites.
1. Placable Chosen by Mark Wallace: "Last seen in Milton: 'Methought I saw him placable and mild.'"
2. Mantle Lawrence Freedman. French manteler, fortify, from Latin mantellum, cloak.
3. Dolent Via Solly. From Latin dolere: to suffer or give pain.
4. Traught From Peter A Russell. Distraught being a late Middle English form of distracted.
5. Ert Nominated by Tom Startup.
6. Gorm From Daniel Forman. Dialect gaum, understanding, from Old Norse gaumr, care, heed.
7. Ruth Tony Blair complained in his memoir that, far from being ruthless, he had "plenty of ruth".
8. Gusted From Michael Crick.
9. Plussed Nominated by Karl Turner: "The daddy of all lost positives."
10. Chalant Nominated by Sam Freedman.
Next week: Mixed metaphors
Coming soon: Genuine shop names (such as Melon Cauli, a greengrocer). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Cilla, ITV, review: Sheridan Smith embodies the young singer perfectly
Tyler, The Creator says having new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly