The top ten: Words that used to mean the opposite
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 16 February 2014
Balustrade and banister both come from the same root: balaustion, Greek for wild pomegranate flower, because of pillars that resemble its curving calyx tube. Sometimes words come so far from their origins that they end up meaning the opposite of when they started.
1. Respect As in "with respect". From Judy K.
2. Humbled The late Simon Hoggart noted its modern use in thank-you speeches. Thanks to Robert Hutton, who is humbled.
3. Nice Meant "stupid" in Middle English (from Latin for ignorant). Shifted through "coy, reserved", via "scrupulous" to "subtle" and now "sort of awright". From Neil Fitzgerald.
4. Silly Not quite opposite, but close. Used to mean "happy", then "innocent, feeble" and now "foolish". Martin Redfellow.
5. Awful Originally, inspiring awe. Nominated by Man Without Beard.
6. Egregious Means outstandingly bad and used to mean outstandingly good. From Latin, "standing out from the flock". Nominated by Lloyd Bracey.
8. Fulsome Still means cloying, insincere, for many of us but often now used as a strong form of "full", especially of praise. Thanks to Daniel Forman.
9. Bad With thanks, or otherwise, to Michael Jackson.
10. Presently "Used to mean right this minute and now means later because of the human tendency to put things off." From Della Mirandola.
Next week: Tautologous abbreviations (PIN number, ATM machine)
Coming soon: Mixed metaphors. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Scottish independence referendum: Franz Ferdinand, Mogwai and Frightened Rabbit to play in support of Yes campaign
Unseen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory chapter deemed 'too subversive' released
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins Mark Wright, Pixie Lott and Judy Murray in line-up
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Al Pacino's The Humbling and Manglehorn, film reviews
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain