The Top Ten: Yiddish words
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 29 June 2014
Thank you to Michael Fishberg and Matt Hoffman for this one. Matt noodged me to do it. Chutzpah has already featured in 'Top 10 useful words for which there is no English equivalent', which is just as well, because competition for these 10 places was fierce.
1. Shtum Silent, with a few layers of extra meaning, as with most of these.
2. Shpilkes Agitated (as in waiting for exam results)
3. Kvetch Complain, complainer.
4. Zimzoom Mosquito.
5. Verklempt or farklempt Overwrought. Nominated by Josh Glancy and Tom Doran.
6. Schlep Long and tedious journey, noun or verb. Nominated by Ruth Muirhead.
7. Schlemiel Awkward, unlucky person.
8. Schmooze Originally a long and intimate chat.
9. Nosh Originally a snack bar.
10. Noodge To pester. From Matt Hoffman. In Britain and America, influenced by nudge. Verb and noun, although Polish Yiddish also has noodnik or nudnik, a pest, nominated by Martyn P Jackson.
Next week: Great unremarked changes of our lifetime
Coming soon: Elegant variations (such as a yes-brainer or a might-read). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Ed Sheeran texts Noel Gallagher to offer him Wembley Stadium tickets after that rant
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Costa Book Awards 2015: H is for Hawk named book of the year
Run DMC's Darryl McDaniels: 'Kendrick Lamar is killing it, but radios are too afraid to play him'
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes