2. The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan (Century, pounds 14.99)
3. Belgarath the Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings (HarperCollins, pounds 15.99)
4. Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock (Heinemann, pounds 16.99)
5. More Rhodes Around Britain by Gary Rhodes (BBC, pounds 15.99)
6. Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Cape, pounds 13.99)
7. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
8. The Rainmaker by John Grisham
9. Lightning by Danielle Steele (Bantam, pounds 14.99)
10. River Out Of Eden by Richard Dawkins (Weidenfeld, pounds 9.99)
Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy (Cape, pounds 20). Well-argued study of how a combination of better technology and superior leadership secured victory in World War Two.
Between Friends: the Letters of Hannah Arendt and Mary McCarthy ed. Carol Brightman (Secker, pounds 25). Insights into one of the great literary friendships of the century.
Satie Remembered ed. Robert Orledge (Faber, pounds 10.99). Contemporaries remember the composer as a modernist genius, enigmatic joker and tragic eccentric.