Saturday 12 August 1995
2. The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan (Century, pounds 14.99)
3. Belgarath the Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings (HarperCollins, pounds 15.99)
4. Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock (Heinemann, pounds 16.99)
5. More Rhodes Around Britain by Gary Rhodes (BBC, pounds 15.99)
6. Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Cape, pounds 13.99)
7. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
8. The Rainmaker by John Grisham
9. Lightning by Danielle Steele (Bantam, pounds 14.99)
10. River Out Of Eden by Richard Dawkins (Weidenfeld, pounds 9.99)
Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy (Cape, pounds 20). Well-argued study of how a combination of better technology and superior leadership secured victory in World War Two.
Between Friends: the Letters of Hannah Arendt and Mary McCarthy ed. Carol Brightman (Secker, pounds 25). Insights into one of the great literary friendships of the century.
Satie Remembered ed. Robert Orledge (Faber, pounds 10.99). Contemporaries remember the composer as a modernist genius, enigmatic joker and tragic eccentric.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 2 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 3 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 4 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
- 5 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams to make special guest appearance in Doctor Who
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Jay Z launches streaming service Tidal with help from Kanye West, Rihanna and Coldplay
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew