A soirée that puts poets on the spot
Saturday 24 November 2012
The young American writers Jarred McGinnis and Sam Tarradash dismiss old-style literary evenings as “passionless affairs”.
After attending several such soirées, they felt the need for something other: something light-hearted but which didn't cheapen the experience of good writing; something which did not needlessly adhere to a single artistic form; something that could compete against a comedy night, a film or a play.
The Special Relationship is a self-styled smorgasbord of fiction, poetry, films and poetry, hosted by the award-winning comic Tom Basden (Peep Show, Party). The next show will feature poet Guy Ware reading alongside illustrator Mr Bingo.
From a small first outing in the Scottish Poetry Library, the event has grown in both stature and size, with a packed tent at this year's Latitude Festival. The evenings are useful, too. McGinnis was signed by a literary agent who had heard him reading at an event last year.
The next Special Relationship evening is at the Book Club, London, EC2 tomorrow. (www.thespecialrelationship.net)
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >