Apps, children’s book publishers offer Read an E-Book Week specials
During 2010 Read an E-Book Week, scheduled for March 7-13, dozens of booksellers and publishers will offer free downloads of electronic titles. In anticipation of the event, founder Rita Y. Toews told Relaxnews about some of the new and notable offers that have been added the to the website's E-Book Store.
As Relaxnews previously reported, 2010 Read an E-Book Week participants include Kobo Books, which carries thousands of major titles (the code Read2010 will get you one free e-book); Smashwords, a platform for independent authors and publishers (hundreds of free titles will be available); and sources for comics, fitness books, and children's literature.
Among recently added participants:
- The Aldiko e-reader application for Android phones will offer a special catalog of books in honor of the event.
- Sylvan Dell Publishing - which publishes "beautifully illustrated e-books with an educational value," according to Toews - will offer a free download of Pandas' Earthquake Escape.
- QBook, an application for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad that offers narrated, interactive children's books, will give away a download of its title Sebastian's Tail. (See a demo at http://ebookweek.com/QBook.html.)
- Romance author Nara Malone will draw a name each day to receive a 1GB flash drive loaded with a mini e-book library.
- Online curriculum provider CurrClick will give away a Nook e-book reader to the winner of its Twitter contest.
The annual Read an E-Book Week was created in 2003 to promote the advantages of reading electronically. According to Toews, the Read an E-Book Week website - which gathers an array of information about e-books and e-readers - has welcomed visitors from Beirut, the Netherlands, Germany, Ghana, Kenya, and Latvia in the time leading up to the 2010 event.
To see all available offers, visit http://ebookweek.com/ebook_store.html.
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories set to be fastest-selling album of 2013
Coronation Street triumphs over EastEnders at British Soap Awards 2013
Man Of Tai Chi: Keanu Reeves' directorial debut 'a contemporary Kung Fu film' snapped up at Cannes
The Freemasons' Code: Dan Brown reveals the message that told him the door to the lodge is open
Cannes Film Festival: And why exactly are vous here?
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.