Bath Literature Festival: Hilary Mantel - I have absolutely nothing to apologise for
Friday 08 March 2013
Wolf Hall author Hilary Mantel has insisted she has “absolutely nothing to apologise for” following widespread outrage over her apparent criticism of the Duchess of Cambridge.
The double Booker Prize-winning author issued a withering attack on those who “deliberately misunderstood” her remarks at a British Museum lecture.
In her speech, Ms Mantel described Kate Middleton as a “shop-window mannequin” with a “perfect plastic smile” whose only purpose was to give birth to the heir to the throne.
But Ms Mantel told BBC Radio 3’s Night Waves that her words had been taken out of context, and she had in fact been talking about the tabloid press’s morbid fascination with the monarchy.
“My whole theme was the way we maltreat royal persons,” she said. Ms Mantel speaks at the Bath Literature Festival at 8pm tomorrow evening.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage