Booker prize 1: The award for best photobomb goes to...
Will Self may have missed out on his first Booker prize to Hilary Mantel, but he can take consolation in creating the best photobomb in the history of the Bookers. Which may not be too much consolation for losing the £50,000 bounty but it's, well, something.
Photobombing is defined by the ever-dependable Urban Dictionary as "any time the background of a picture hijacks the original focus".
In the photocall for the shortlisted authors, Self found himself holding his title, "Umbrella", up like an actual umbrella behind Mantel's head, ensuring that when she comes to look at the picture on her mantelpiece in years to come. The memory won't be of Booker glory, but of her head nestling in the verbose genius's armpit.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove