Dandy in print for last time
Friday 17 August 2012
The Dandy will publish its last issue on its 75th birthday in December following a huge fall in sales. The UK's longest-running children's comic, which features the antics of cowboy strongman Desperate Dan, will only be available online.
But publisher DC Thomson, which has seen the comic's circulation fall from two million in the 1950s to under 8,000 today, said there are "exciting plans in the pipeline" to take it in a "different direction". "Dan has certainly not eaten his last cow pie," said chief executive Ellis Watson. "All of The Dandy's characters are just 110 days away from a new lease of life."
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.