Hardware shop owners Fifty Shades of better off
Thursday 20 September 2012
A hardware shop owner says sales of duct tape, cable ties and rope have soared thanks to the popularity of erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey.
Gary Smith, who owns Fishers Hardware in Saxmundham, Suffolk, said he had seen an increase in the sale of the items, which feature in descriptions of bondage in the books, since the publication of the EL James trilogy.
And he has put a handwritten notice in his window to reassure customers that he has plenty of stock.
Mr Smith told the East Anglian Daily Times: "Every time we get someone in who wants to buy these products, I have a little joke with them.
"I don't think hardware shops have ever been so popular with young women."
The Vintage Books trilogy has sold 31 million e-book and print copies in English-language markets worldwide.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >