Alice Jones' Arts Diary
Helen Fielding: I told Colin Firth on the phone Mark Darcy had been killed off
At least Hugh Grant can rest easy
Bridget is back and Renée Zellweger (below) is probably already scoffing cronuts in preparation for an inevitable third big screen outing. But what of poor Colin Firth, whose character Mark Darcy is killed off in Mad About the Boy, Helen Fielding’s third Bridget Jones novel?
Fielding had to find a way to break the news to the actor that there would be no part for him in any future film. “I did want to tell Colin in person but we were trying to have lunch, and I couldn’t really tell him why I was trying to meet him and he was in a different place,” Fielding tells Time magazine. “So I ended up telling him he died on the phone. I had to ask him if he had someone with him and if he was sitting down. It was like someone actually had died. We had to process it. And I was almost saying, ‘I’m so sorry for your loss’.”
At least Hugh Grant can rest easy – his caddish Daniel is still very much on the scene in book three.
Also in this week's Arts Diary
Arts & Ents blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson