Literary lion of the lens
Monday 08 November 2010
In a career spanning 40 years, the photographer Mark Gerson, now 89, shot most of the biggest names in English literature, from Roald Dahl to Salman Rushdie.
Several of Gerson's pictures, all signed, are to go on sale at the auction house Bonhams, including those featured here. He captured the novelist and satirist Evelyn Waugh,in 1963, on vintage bromide print. Others caught by his lens are the poet and critic Edith Sitwell, and her cat, shot in 1962. The American novelist James Baldwin, a personal friend of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, sat for him in 1971.
Also for sale is a famous picture of the "Faber Poets" – Louis MacNeice, Ted Hughes, T S Eliot, W H Auden, and Stephen Spender – at a literary function in 1960, which can also be seen in the National Portrait Gallery.
peopleContenders for Time magazine's Person of the Year are a mixture of the good, the bad and the holy
newsAs the world remembers Mandela the hero, the prison where he spent 27 years seems all the more brutal
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
danceUnder Tamara Rojo's inspired direction, it seems possible that it could challenge the dominance of the Royal Ballet. We meet some established names and rising stars
travelDiscover Uruguay's jet-set beach resort, an Atlantic enclave with plenty of art and culture to explore on the side
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >