Observations: A unlikely quest across the US West
Thursday 14 June 2012
I still get a kick out of the look on people's faces when I tell them about my book Follow The Money.
Invariably, they say, "You did what?" And I have to repeat: "I followed a $10 bill across America for 3,300-miles over 30 days and nights. I cut crops in Kansas, got trashed with a blues band in Arkansas, hunted deer in Michigan, got saved, almost, by missionaries in Missouri. The usual things $10 bills do."
I spent a lot of time embarrassing myself in a state of total exhaustion. Often grubby, I would approach the latest recipient of the bill and mumble: "Hello, I'm, ahem, following that $10 bill. Yes, that one, IA74407937A, the one in your hand. The point is, now I have to follow you until you spend it..."
'Follow The Money' is published on 4 July by Union Books
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
Arts & Ents blogs
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >