Peter Andre & Boris: An unlikely pair of political characters
Wednesday 07 December 2011
William Shakespeare introduced 2,000 words into the English language; Peter Andre has coined just one. But in the absence of the Bard, the Mayor of London chose the singer behind the word (and song) "Insania" – a combination of the words insane and mania – to help him to boost the use of libraries.
The duo announced plans to recruit 2,000 "library champions" to organise activities at libraries in 10 boroughs across the city. £100,000 is being invested in the Love Libraries scheme to try to improve literacy.
Mr Andre, author of two children's books, said: "Libraries have changed from when I was a kid and they look a lot more social... I remember being terrified of coming to libraries but now you can bring your laptop and DVDs and it is opening it up for a new generation."
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Top A&E doctors warn: 'We cannot guarantee safe care for patients anymore'
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.