Sanchez wins Spain's oldest literature prize
Thursday 07 January 2010
Author and newspaper columnist Clara Sanchez, 54, has been awarded the Nadal Prize, Spain's oldest literature award, media reported Wednesday.
Sanchez won the prize for her novel "Lo que esconde tu nombre" or "What your name hides" about two men in their 80s - one a former Nazi who lives on the east coast of Spain and the other a survivor of the Mauthausen concentration camp who lives in Argentina.
In the book a young pregnant woman slowly discovers the real identity of her neighbour, the former Nazi, and the role he played at the infamous camp in Austria.
Sanchez writes a column for top-selling Spanish newspaper El Pais and has published eight other books which have been translated into French, German, Greek, Portuguese and Russian, according to her blog.
The Nadal Prize is worth 18,000 euros (26,000 dollars). It has been awarded every year since 1944 by the Barcelona-based Destino publishing house.
Last year the prize went to journalist and author Maruja Torres for her novel "Esperadme en el Cielo" or "Wait for Me in Heaven", in which the protagonist meets old friends, Manolo and Terenci, in heaven.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >