Woody Allen: A return to stand-up?
The comedian Woody Allen has said he is “toying with the idea” of making a return to stand-up comedy – after a hiatus of more than half a century.
The writer-director, who started his career in stand-up in the early 1960s, said he was inspired after seeing 86-year-old Mort Sahl in three shows. Mr Allen, 77, said: “Watching him, I had the same feeling now, in 2013, as I had when I saw him in 1950-something. Of ‘Hey, I’d like to get back on stage and do stand-up again’.”
He told The New York Times: “I’ve just been toying with the idea. I would love to see if I could.”
Mr Allen is promoting his latest film, Blue Jasmine, starring Cate Blanchett as a pampered wife who loses everything.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Guillaume Tell's gang-rape scene caused uproar at the Royal Opera House – but the portrayal of extreme sex and violence on stage is nothing new
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture