Saturday 18 December 1993
Radio Activity by John Murray, Sunk Island, pounds 7.99. Distinctive and idiosyncratic comic novel that sends up the nuclear industry. Review by
D J Taylor, 11 December.
Georges Perec: A Life in Words by David Bellos, Harvill, pounds 35. Ample and generous biography of a remarkable French novelist, the games-playing author of Life A User's Manual. Review by Hugo Barnacle, 11 December.
The Holder of the World by Bharati Mukherjee, Chatto & Windus, pounds 14.99. Big, entertaining, romantic novel that squeezes three cultures, three centuries and two continents into a neat whole. Interview by Marianne Brace,
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture