Saturday 24 July 1993
The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian, HarperCollins, pounds 12.95. Enthralling continuation of the novel-sequence about 18th-century seafarers. Interview by Peter Guttridge, 3 July.
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle, Secker & Warburg, pounds 12.99. Sharp and funny novel about a 10-year-old trapped in an uncosy boyhood. Review by Giles Smith, 26 June.
Life's Dominion by Ronald Dworkin, HarperCollins, pounds 17.50. Learned and judicious essay about abortion, the law and the meaning of life. Review by Conor Gearty, 12 June.
And when did you last see your father? by Blake Morrison. Extremely moving and detailed memoir of the author's late father: elegiac, confessional and funny.
What Henry James Knew by Cynthia Ozick, Jonathan Cape, pounds 12.99. Brilliant argument in favour of the unusual idea that the best response to modern horrors is to read more Henry James. Review by Anthony Lane, 3 July.
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories