Portobello, £7.99, 161pp from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
A Short Border Handbook, By Gazmend Kapllani
Friday 21 May 2010
After so many books, and so much polemic, who can tell a fresh story about migrant life in Europe? Try this Albanian newcomer to Greece, who worked his way up from Athens kiosk vendor to philosophy student and then leading press columnist, but still has natives compliment him on his Greek. Identity politics and statistical quarrels don't interest him.
Instead, this funny, offbeat, original report on "border syndrome" (translated in all its sardonic poise by Anne-Marie Stanton-Ife) traces the tragicomic plight of migrants who yearn both to fit in and to stand apart.
These memories of one who dares "to start your life again from scratch" build into a witty and irreverent take on a heavy theme that his lightness brings to life.
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Piers Morgan attempts to save the Union by promising to go back to the US if Scotland votes 'No' to independence
- 4 Tyler, The Creator says having new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
- 5 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
Lauren Bacall's last ever performance on Family Guy airs in UK tonight
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: New picture of Anastasia Steele unveiled
X Factor 2014 review: Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole clashed over Rouge Kiss
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who, Listen, review: Possibly Steven Moffat's most terrifying episode
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly