Thames & Hudson £18.95 (216pp) £17.95 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Abydos, By David O'Connor
This exploration of Abydos, the sprawling site in Upper Egypt that was a centre for the cult of Osiris, is enlivened with fascinating detail about pharaohs and archaeologists alike.
We learn that the ruler of the underworld was offered "vigorous support" in the form of "30 pints of wine daily" while deceased pharaohs were equipped with "surprising and unexpected" transportation in the form of 14 wooden boats averaging 93ft long.
The extravagance of ancient times was balanced in 1900 by the "notorious austerity" of archaeologist Flinders Petrie. At the end of each digging season, he buried any unused cans of food, which he would dig up the following year. Any that did not explode when thrown against a wall were "considered good enough to eat".
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest