Alex's Adventures in Numberland, By Alex Bellos
Suddenly it all adds up...
Sunday 24 April 2011
This marvellous book explodes the myths that maths is boring and hard.
Alex Bellos writes of probability and gambling, the magic of pi, Rubik's cubes, slide rules, Sudoku, algebra, abacuses, bell curves, the geometry of the 50p piece, squaring the circle (don't bother trying), the Sierpinski carpet and the Menger sponge, origami, number sequences, the spiral of a peregrine falcon's swoop, randomness and infinity.
For the first time in my life I ... well, I wouldn't say understand, but sort of get the idea of non-Euclidean geometry. Bellos's explanations are so lucid that you feel you could actually do this stuff. It's like watching someone run round a darkened house switching all the lights on.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
Poldark, review: Revolution is in the air as women fling mud in the eyes of the silly chaps
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate