All in a Don’s Day, By Mary Beard
Despite the asinine remarks of A.A.Gill, Beard is great on TV but transforming her blog into books (this is No.2) may be a step too far.
It is quite interesting to learn how she cribbed from Google while filming in Rome ("the Perseus website gives you Lewis and Short's Latin dictionary on-line") but rationalising her failure to win a BAFTA ("Wouldn't it always have been a bit of a poisoned chalice?") should have been kept to herself. Her 10 Latin quotes for the Tube are upstaged by a suggestion: "How about 'Cave hiatum' – mind the gap?"
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are