Bloomsbury £7.99 (458pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
America, America, By Ethan Canin
Friday 31 July 2009
Ethan Canin, who first made his name as a short-story writer, has turned his hand to a big, fat state-of-the-union novel. The narrator, Corey Sifter, is a 50-year-old Michigan newspaperman, who in his youth was co-opted by a powerful local family into Democratic politics.
This epic narrative moves from Sifter's blue-collar childhood through to his involvement with presidential hopeful, Sen. Henry Bonwiller, whose campaign is undone in a Chappaquiddick-style moment. The subject matter is classical US fare, but Canin passes this literary test with flying colours.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up – and Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >