Oxford £5.99 (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
An A-Z of Effective Vocabulary, By Martin H. Manser
Friday 05 February 2010
A boiled-down dictionary of 1,001 words for the business community, this book steers thrusting young execs away from such tempting twaddle as paradigm shift ("some people consider it jargon") and proactive ("do not overuse this word"). It also explains why the verb "to impact" is disliked by the verbally sensitive: "since the use of impact is associated with business and commercial writing, it has the unenviable status of jargon".
Of course, this is precisely why such grating words are used by suits; they confirm the business credentials of the user. An overly prescriptive guide might be futile, though this A to Z could give more detail about words. We're told that "stellar" means "exceptionally good; outstanding", though its derivation from "star" is omitted.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Pride: Are US film censors pandering to homophobia?
Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican named highest-selling female comedians
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >