Granta £9.99 (392pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
Balti Britain, By Ziauddin Sardar
Friday 04 September 2009
In Urdu, "balti" refers to a large receptacle for carrying water. You would no sooner cook with one than with a bucket. A Birmingham Balti magnate explains to Sardar, "It all started as a joke." Yet an Oxford dictionary now contains an entry for "Baltistan" in the Himalayas.
This nonsense typifies the miscomprehensions that persist between Asian Britons and the indigenous population. In a book as fascinating as it is clear-eyed, Sardar tackles the twin themes of his family, who arrived as emigrants from Pakistan in the 1950s, and the awkward relationship between Britain and its former Indian empire. Sardar's own story, including his successful arranged marriage, brings humour and tenderness to this engaging book.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict