Faber £7.99 (368pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Beautiful Malice, By Rebecca James
"Were you glad, deep down? Were you glad to be rid of her? Your perfect sister? Were you secretly glad when she was killed?" Sibling rivalry is often found at the heart of teen fiction, and Rebecca James's entertaining melodrama takes this raw emotion to new extremes.
At the start of the novel, all we know is that the novel's bookish narrator, Katherine, has recently lost a sister, and somehow she's implicated in her violent death. Having moved to a new city and a new school, she lives a life of quiet anonymity, until recently acquired best pal Alice - a pleasingly toxic creation - starts to undermine Katherine's fragile happiness.
This hyped debut kicked off a bidding war, selling to over 30 countries, and at the very least deserves a place in the beach bag next to the latest Stephenie Meyer.
Arts & Ents blogs
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.