Book review: Gossip from the Forest, By Sara Maitland
Friday 14 June 2013
Sara Maitland recounts how she spent a year visiting the wilder forests of England and Scotland in search of “the tangled roots” of northern European fairy tales.
Maitland explores both the fascinating “pseudo-history” of these ancient groves and the folkloric tales they inspired.
Interleaved in the author's unconventional narrative are some subversive re-tellings of favoured old chesnuts – Hansel and Gretel become middle-aged, Rumpelstiltskin tells his side of the story and Little Red Riding Hood is last seen in pink trainers.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 How the NHS is being dismantled in 10 easy steps
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
WWE wrestler Dolph Ziggler defends his misspelled ‘MEGADEATH’ jacket patch
The Girl in the Spider's Web, David Lagercrantz, review: Stieg Larsson's heroes return in a thrilling new intrigue
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser