Random House £8.99 (240pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
Buyology, By Martin Lindstrom
Friday 15 May 2009
"One of the world's most respected marketing gurus" explains "how everything we believe about what we buy is wrong." The pitch for this US bestseller is tempting, but Lindstrom's insights are dire in style and unremarkable: "Subliminal messages are out there – don't fall prey."
On this side of the Atlantic, it is odd to be told that Michelin tyres attract because Michelin guides purvey "European experience". Weirdly, Lindstrom sells himself: "38, 5ft 8ins... with an extremely young, boyish looking face".
Anyone interested in the self-regard of a marketing man should buy this book, but for real insights dust off Vance Packard's The Hidden Persuaders from 1957.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture