Icon £8.99 (338pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Delusions of Gender, By Cordelia Fine
Friday 18 February 2011
This book rubbishes the view of one psychologist that "the female brain is predominantly hard-wired for empathy. The male brain is predominantly hard-wired for understanding."
Fine approvingly quotes a biologist who describes the brain as "a vast unknown, a perfect medium on which to project... assumptions about gender."
She suggests that for women to succeed in traditionally male work, they face the same problem as Ginger Rogers who, as was famously noted, "did everything Fred Astaire did, except backwards and in high heels."
The gendering of children, ("the pernicious pinkification of little girls") affects every aspect of their lives. An ironic book with a serious message, it points out that adults also obey this rigid code.
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest