Profile £20 (216pp) £18 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Dirt, By Virginia Smith, Brian Ralph, Elizabeth Pisani and Rose George
Friday 01 April 2011
Published to accompany an exhibition at the Wellcome Collection, this enjoyable if rambling book explores various aspects of a phenomenon that we like to wash off, brush away or simply bury.
Exploring dirt in the city, Rose George notes that the invention of the flush toilet in the 1590s banished the smell via the S-bend but also "eradicated sanitation from conversation".
This topic came back with a vengeance in the Great Stink of 1858. The law that produced Joseph Bazalgette's great drainage system was passed within 18 days.
An essay on dirt in the community explores urban muck, from the 10-step wudu (ritual cleansing) of Islam to women wrestling in mud.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Exodus: Gods and Kings banned in the UAE for 'religious mistakes'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk