Profile £20 (216pp) £18 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Dirt, By Virginia Smith, Brian Ralph, Elizabeth Pisani and Rose George
Friday 01 April 2011
Published to accompany an exhibition at the Wellcome Collection, this enjoyable if rambling book explores various aspects of a phenomenon that we like to wash off, brush away or simply bury.
Exploring dirt in the city, Rose George notes that the invention of the flush toilet in the 1590s banished the smell via the S-bend but also "eradicated sanitation from conversation".
This topic came back with a vengeance in the Great Stink of 1858. The law that produced Joseph Bazalgette's great drainage system was passed within 18 days.
An essay on dirt in the community explores urban muck, from the 10-step wudu (ritual cleansing) of Islam to women wrestling in mud.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl performs with broken leg seated on massive throne made of guitars
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget