Phoenix £12.99 (628pp) (free p&p) from 0870 079 8897
Ever, Dirk, Edited by John Coldstream
Friday 08 May 2009
This collection of letters by Dirk Bogarde a is compelling read for fans and cinephiles alike which pays homage to the beautiful, bygone art of letter writing.
A compulsive writer, Bogarde wrote intimately, (at times) irreverently and prolifically to playwrights (Tom Stoppard, John Osbourne), film directors (Fassbinder, Visconti), family and friends including his beloved Dorothy Gordon ("Mrs X") whose friendship he likened to "a kind of love affair without carnality" in these lovingly composed epistles - which offer up insights into an extraordinary life as well as a slice of cinema history.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
The funniest joke at Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Tim Vine wins for second time
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head