Fifty Shades of Cool: Iconic images of the sunglass-wearing elite
'With my sunglasses on, I'm Jack Nicholson. Without them, I'm fat and 60'
Sunglasses hide a myriad of sins. Bad hangovers, tears, last night's smudged mascara and the evidence of years of fun living.
They are also a great equaliser. Celebrities wear them to blend in. Us mere mortals don them to feel glamorous, to stand out.
Famous faces from Andy Warhol to Elvis Presley, Clint Eastwood and Catherine Deneuve have been photographed with their eyes shrouded by the coolest tinted frames.
A book by Lauren Goldstein Crowe, 50 Shades, a shameless play on the success of EL James' "mummy porn" trilogy, hits coffee tables this month.
Here are a few choice examples from a collection of 50 iconic images from 50 years of popular culture.
50 Shades (RRP £19.95) is published by Reel Art Press, www.reelartpress.com
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Lynda Bellingham dead: Loose Women presenter dies after battle with colon cancer
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing