YALE UNIVERSITY PRESS £10 (198pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Fred Astaire, By Joseph Epstein
Friday 20 November 2009
Hollywood legend holds that when a film executive watched Fred Astaire's first screen-test, his assessment was grim: "Balding. Can't sing. Dances a little."
Joseph Epstein sets out to prove Astaire's virtuoso ability to dance on screen superseded whatever physical peculiarities he may have had (he wore a hairpiece and had "huge ears"). Astaire's training in tap began in Vaudeville, dancing with his more talented sister, Adele, and culminated in the famously tension relationship he had with Ginger Rogers. Epstein paints a charming picture of an understated man who liked to insist: "I'm just a hoofer".
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
Lucy, film review: Scarlett Johansson will blow your mind in Luc Besson's complex thriller
Miley Cyrus concert banned on morality grounds in the Dominican Republic
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
American film board gives gay film Love Is Strange R-rating despite no sex or violence
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile