JR Books £9.99 (500pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Furious Love, By Sam Kashner & Nancy Schoenberger
Friday 06 May 2011
Even if you thought the internationally celebrated pageantry across London's streets last Friday counted as the most signficant wedding of recent times, Elizabeth Taylor's love affair with Richard Burton was surely "The Marriage of the Century", as this book's sub-title would have it. Their tumultuous, on-off love story, with the obligatory sad ending, cannot disappoint hard-core fans.
This book brings together their love letters, which Taylor kept by her bedside until her death, when they were buried with her, and comes with a series of photographs of the stormiest and most beautiful of showbusiness couples. It is a mesmerising book for those with a fascination for the couple, or more generally, the destructive passion of love-hate relationships.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains