JR Books £9.99 (500pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Furious Love, By Sam Kashner & Nancy Schoenberger
Friday 06 May 2011
Even if you thought the internationally celebrated pageantry across London's streets last Friday counted as the most signficant wedding of recent times, Elizabeth Taylor's love affair with Richard Burton was surely "The Marriage of the Century", as this book's sub-title would have it. Their tumultuous, on-off love story, with the obligatory sad ending, cannot disappoint hard-core fans.
This book brings together their love letters, which Taylor kept by her bedside until her death, when they were buried with her, and comes with a series of photographs of the stormiest and most beautiful of showbusiness couples. It is a mesmerising book for those with a fascination for the couple, or more generally, the destructive passion of love-hate relationships.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians