Fourth Estate, £7.99, 221pp £7.59 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Gold Boy, Emerald Girl, By Yiyun Li
Friday 04 November 2011
Yiyun Li emigrated from Beijing to study medicine in the US, but instead graduated from the Iowa Writer's Workshop. Her memorable debut collection of stories, A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, was followed by an award-winning novel, The Vagrants.
In this second collection, she follows characters, young and old, as they try to re-orient themselves in a post-revolutionary world. Attuned to every nuance of sadness, Li writes delicately about death, brutality and leave-taking.
In "Prison" a couple try to get over their grief for a dead daughter by hiring a surrogate mother, while in the title story an older couple try to decide whether a union will "make one another less sad". Modern China is portrayed as a series of "dormant" towns steeped in "big tragedies and small losses".
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Google search history can now be downloaded in its entirety, mass embarrassment expected
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron 'after credits' scene leaks online days before cinema release
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate