Virgin £8.99 (418pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Googled, By Ken Auletta
Friday 08 April 2011
The view from the Google campus at Mountain View changes all the time. Co-founder Larry Page now takes the reins as CEO from Eric Schmidt, who guided student wizards Page and Sergey Brin along the way towards a monster corporation.
Given this ongoing revolution, Ken Auletta fashions as near a definitive history as possible of the first dozen years of the search tool-turned-global data behemoth. (It might have been BackRub – or Whatbox.)
Though Google's don't-be-evil ethos has taken knocks from censorship to book digitisation, he shows how swiftly it re-boots. Yet it remains an overgrown adolescent in thrall to "the power and precariousness of a culture shaped by... founders". Auletta will have updating tasks for some time to come.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything