Headline Review £12.99 (439pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Hell's Belles, By Paul Magrs
Friday 04 December 2009
From transsexuals and teenagers to vegans and vamps, Paul Magrs has always shown a soft spot for outsiders. Perhaps his finest creations are Brenda and Effie, the geriatric stars of his Whitby-based gothic mysteries.
The fourth installment finds Brenda (the erstwhile Bride of Frankenstein) and Effie (a witch) dipping their toes in the movie business.
When a film crew arrives in town to remake the schlock horror movie, Get Thee Inside Me, Satan, the two friends are alarmed to discover that the lead, Karla Sorensen, hasn't aged a day.
Something fishy is afoot and the blue-rinsed brigade are determined to get to the bottom of it. This is paranormal redemption at its most camp.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’