Headline Review £12.99 (439pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Hell's Belles, By Paul Magrs
Friday 04 December 2009
From transsexuals and teenagers to vegans and vamps, Paul Magrs has always shown a soft spot for outsiders. Perhaps his finest creations are Brenda and Effie, the geriatric stars of his Whitby-based gothic mysteries.
The fourth installment finds Brenda (the erstwhile Bride of Frankenstein) and Effie (a witch) dipping their toes in the movie business.
When a film crew arrives in town to remake the schlock horror movie, Get Thee Inside Me, Satan, the two friends are alarmed to discover that the lead, Karla Sorensen, hasn't aged a day.
Something fishy is afoot and the blue-rinsed brigade are determined to get to the bottom of it. This is paranormal redemption at its most camp.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >