Headline Review £12.99 (439pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Hell's Belles, By Paul Magrs
Friday 04 December 2009
From transsexuals and teenagers to vegans and vamps, Paul Magrs has always shown a soft spot for outsiders. Perhaps his finest creations are Brenda and Effie, the geriatric stars of his Whitby-based gothic mysteries.
The fourth installment finds Brenda (the erstwhile Bride of Frankenstein) and Effie (a witch) dipping their toes in the movie business.
When a film crew arrives in town to remake the schlock horror movie, Get Thee Inside Me, Satan, the two friends are alarmed to discover that the lead, Karla Sorensen, hasn't aged a day.
Something fishy is afoot and the blue-rinsed brigade are determined to get to the bottom of it. This is paranormal redemption at its most camp.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Game of Thrones actress begs for 'other princess work' after Myrcella Baratheon part is recast
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Palestinian artists transform smoke-filled Gaza into symbol of resistance
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >