Headline Review £12.99 (439pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Hell's Belles, By Paul Magrs
From transsexuals and teenagers to vegans and vamps, Paul Magrs has always shown a soft spot for outsiders. Perhaps his finest creations are Brenda and Effie, the geriatric stars of his Whitby-based gothic mysteries.
The fourth installment finds Brenda (the erstwhile Bride of Frankenstein) and Effie (a witch) dipping their toes in the movie business.
When a film crew arrives in town to remake the schlock horror movie, Get Thee Inside Me, Satan, the two friends are alarmed to discover that the lead, Karla Sorensen, hasn't aged a day.
Something fishy is afoot and the blue-rinsed brigade are determined to get to the bottom of it. This is paranormal redemption at its most camp.
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.