Faber and Faber £8.99
How I Escaped My Certain Fate, By Stewart Lee
Books Of The Year: It's the book of the DVD of the show...and it's great
Sunday 11 December 2011
Of all the books I reviewed in 2011, this is the one I am still dipping into and re-reading.
It takes the form of three transcripts of Stewart Lee's shows, each copiously footnoted, explaining and critiquing his material and techniques, with excurses on his life, his health, his friends, his comedy heroes, and his mum. I was in the audience for every one of these shows; they were hilarious then and are still hilarious on the page. But would I laugh so much if I hadn't been there, if I couldn't remember Lee's slow, bitter, weary, irony-saturated delivery?
Take no chances – buy this book and get the DVDs of the shows as well. And if you get the chance, go and see Stewart Lee perform.
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP